New Icon Set...[echo]...

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 13:57:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 23:58 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I'm one of two people with an @redhat.com email address who actively
> posts on this list, but: I do not work on the Red Hat Desktop team. I
> work on a systems management/provisioning platform called Red Hat
> Network.  The work I do on this list is on a volunteer-basis in my free
> time (note the time stamp on this email in EST.) My 'dibs' on calling
> the shots here are strictly as a community member.

I for one am getting a little tired of people assuming that anyone
@redhat.com is being paid to work on this stuff, and that their opinion
is somehow bubbling to the top because of corporate control.  AIUI,
other than the hardcore development team (I think they're called
Emerging Technologies inside Red Hat), almost no one in Red Hat is paid
to work on Fedora.  They all put in their time on the side, forsaking
friends, family and fun in the sun just like the rest of us.  Let's cut
with the bashing and conspiracy theories already.

[...snip...]
> > One thing I'm very set on is testing of icons,
> > like Jimmacs blur scripts, simulating red/green color blindness, etc,
> > there are things that I don't think about either. No one person is
> > perfect so it would be good to work hand in hand with the usability team
> > and do real testing to see if we hit common pitfalls.
>
> > I would love to help set up an icon test squad, I can take care of my
> > own handicap and with a bit of wiggling I can send screenshots or my
> > laptop around to my former collegues and get some real feedback from
> > special needs users. But we need more, if anyone knows other special
> > needs users we should welcome them here so that we can get the best
> > compromise between a cool look and a usable look.
>
> This sounds exceptionally helpful and I sincerely hope you do start this
> endeavor. I would be willing to help out.

Now *that's* how to contribute.  Transparent and objective criteria are
a must if you're going to start sampling users for data; see GNOME
Usability or any of dozens of other well-known HIGish projects for ideas
and guidelines.