Testing out the theme

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 15:55:55 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
>> ...but the process by which one gets (non-icon) artwork into the
>> distribution remains muddily-defined & mysterious despite the
>> contributions of several community members. *Extremely* frustrating.
>> Looks like we'll be stuck with Fedora bubbles again.
>>
> It should be relatively simple to file a patch against any particular
> package or talk to the relevant package maintainers and release
> engineering team if you need help.

I have and I've been told that package maintainers do not have final say
over what default artwork is approved for inclusion in their package.

This is supposed to be a community distribution. This includes code and
artwork, right? Or am I just being a rabble rouser here?

> The development processes itself need to be better documented and I will
> get to doing that ASAP. What have you tried so far and what exactly is
> frustrating?

I started creating a theme as a potential default for FC6 which I
continue to receive extremely positive feedback on. Yet, there is no
formal process to submit it and get it 'approved' by whomever (within
RH's walls right now I guess - I would *love* for this to be something
the community had control over though, maybe the FAB or maybe a small
group of art community members could make a decision). So my artwork
sits there and I've given up on finishing & implementing everything in
time for FC6 because there's no sign/indication that my effort won't be
wasted (and frankly, I'm involved in other FOSS projects where, instead
of me struggling to get artwork in, I'm invited quite nicely to
contribute and my work is taken seriously. Can you guess where I'm
preferring to spend my time these days?)

It's not really important to me *what* artwork gets in, quite frankly. I
think the stuff Ify and Andy have come up just within the past couple of
days is fabulous & far better than the DNA stuff I threw together. I
just strongly believe that community contributions aren't taken
seriously and they should be (and by taken seriously I mean actually
used in the distro!!)

In summary, the process of getting artwork into a Fedora release *needs*
to be transparent & documented, and I think some community input needs
to be built into this process.

~m

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemeSubmissions/DNATheme