Re: New to the list - need advice

Diana Fong wrote:
Nicu Buculei wrote:
John Baer wrote:

1. Is the font used to create the word "fedora" available? If so where
may I obtain it? If not, how may I reproduce it?

The font is a proprietary one, named Bryant2, is not possbile to redistribute it: http://www.processtypefoundry.com/typefaces/bryant2/index.html

I tried to reproduce it by tracing samples at a very high-resolution, is hard and I am not an expert in fonts.

John, it really depends what you are trying to use the font for. Are you just trying to develop Fedora logo artwork? If so, you can get a vector version of the Fedora logo including the 'fedora' text. There is a process to do this documented here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo#head-676bb5dfefa6e0f7c324dde85ebb11223186189c

The logo SVG isn't available on the web (or at least shouldn't be) because of trademark issues - we try to limit who has access to it to prevent abuse and risk of losing the trademark.

If someone has time, perhaps go through sites like... http://1001freefonts.com/fonts/ and pick out ones that are similar to the one used in the logo? The FAQ on this site says:
Q : Are all the fonts on this website free?
A : The majority of fonts on this website are freeware, but a small percentage are shareware so if you decide to keep any shareware fonts please register them. Registration information can be found on the readme.txt file attached.

Not very knowledgeable about font legal issues...but seems ok to use?

Again this depends on what you're trying to use the font for and the specific font's license. In all cases of doubt it's best to ask the font copyright holder.

If you're trying to use the font as a substitute for Bryant in the fedora logo, it would violate the Fedora branding guidelines.