No top posting (was: [FC7 theme proposal] Flying High with Fedora 7 - Round 2)

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 23:04:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 12:00 -0500, fedora-art-list-request at redhat.com
wrote:
> There are huge threads of discussing about top posting in Fedora
> community:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/200832/focus=201098
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/210209/focus=210255
>
> We have come to the agreement on no top posting. I'd encourage people
> follow these guidelines, particularly:
>
> Quote from the MailingListGuidelines:
>
> "Make sure we can tell what you are replying to. Place each part of
> your reply after the text it addresses (i.e., NO Top-Posting, please -
> see the [WikiPedia]Top posting wiki and links therein for more on
> this). Most mail readers automatically put a '>' character in front of
> each replied-to line. It gives a conversational flow to the text, and
> people know what you're replying to. Trim irrelevant material. It
> makes it easier to read your reply and helps the reader to stay on
> subject."

Leo,

I must admit I am "List Server" challenged and whenever I make a post
using the Gmail web interface I almost always get it wrong.

Until I saw this post I had never heard of a top post and I am still not
sure if I understand all of what it is about.

As suggested I read the "Communicate/MailingListGuidelines" and I must
confess I did not see any mention of "top" posting.

However, Google found this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting

I apologize for the error and thank you for the opportunity to learn
something new.

Cheers,

John