more natural colors

Mike Chalmers mikechalmers70 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:01:22 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 11/12/06, Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> By the way, Red Hat has always taken the unnatural path. With colors
> >> like silver, red, and black. What is the deal?
>
> seawolf wrote:
>  > I think that's a more business-like approach, silver and black suit
>  > that very well and that particular tone of red is the vibrancy which a
>  > cutting-edge/buzzword company needs for it's image.
>  >
>  > That's my two pence, anyway.
>
> Red Hat certainly uses red and black in its logo and web design but I'm
> not sure what in particular you're referencing with silver.
>
> I don't think the colors themselves are natural or unnatural (don't even
> get me started on deconstructing the term 'natural' lol) - I think it's
> more the entire palette of colors together that give the overall feeling
> of being of nature or not. For any color you could list I'm sure
> something close to it occurs in nature (whether or not the color's
> connotation is one of 'nature'): red is the color of many fruit -
> apples, strawberries, cherries, raspberries; black is the color of the
> sky on a very dark night, charcoal, and the color many trees appear in
> the winter against a bright white sky; and silver is the color that
> predominates spider webs.
>
> I think a lot of the themes we've got proposed have natural-looking
> palettes - a lot are focused on the night sky, with various shades of
> light and deep blue.
>
> ~m

The colors I speak of, are natural colors of pure life, trees and
grass and earth. Not fire, metallic water, futuristic technological
designs, lustful colors, metallic trees, stuff like that. Red Hat is
definitely unnatural colors as is Fedora. I think if we think about it
we can realize that, especially as artist.

Things like blue metallic water, for example, compared to regular blue
water is incomparable. Or metallic silver trees compared to green leaf
trees or leaves in the fall.

There is no way you can say the Red Hat's colors are natural if you
think about it. You can't just name any color and say it is natural
because it looks like red on trees. There is a big difference.

Fedora's colors remind me of the movies The Matrix.

I am not knocking Fedora, I love it. It just hurts me that the colors
aren't used to a more natural earthy approach.

Kind Regards,
Mike