Diana Fongs ICF artwork

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Dec 14 09:21:19 UTC 2006

Sindre Pedersen Bjordal wrote:
> Diana Fongs wonderful ICF Fedora backgrounds use the Fedora Logo. At the
> same time they are, as far as I understand, licensed under the Creative
> Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License which means they
> can't be included in the Fedora Project. I find this very contradictory
> to the stated goals of the Fedora project and I can't really understand
> why these wallpapers, clearly intended for use on Fedora systems, is
> licensed in a way that prevents inclusion in the Fedora Project?

I do not think we want to include a lot of photographic backgrounds
inside the distro anyway.

> Can anyone shed some light on to this situation? Can Diana change the
> licensing on her artwork to allow inclusion in Fedora? If able to, how
> can I convince her to do so?

This is entirely her original work, so I expect Diana may relicense it
at will, you have only to persuade her hard enough.

If I would take I wild guess, I would suggest making background channels
(http://www.gnome.org/~clarkbw/blog/GNOME/background_channels) work,
this certainly will convince a lot of people (maybe even Diana) to
release background images with a license compatible with those channels.

--
nicu