[Fwd: [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Artwork/ReleaseGraphics" by DianaFong]

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Dec 21 20:46:53 UTC 2006

Diana Fong wrote:
> - Máirín
>
> ReleaseGraphics was created with the aim of providing a clear listing of
> the pieces and set of specifications of what I, as Visual Designer of
> the Red Hat Desktop Team, make sure exists at each release.  The
> specifications listed were those provided to me by my team lead Matthias
> Clasen, Jeremy Katz, and Than Ngo, throughout my years as the art
> maintainer at Red Hat Desktop and also to further supplement the
> creation of the ReleaseGraphics page.

Also word-for-word notes that I wrote for the ThemingOverview page
somehow leaked in (eg notes on testing GDM themes) and were miscredited.
Don't worry though, I've removed my contributions so you don't have to
worry about that anymore.

> This page is to provide those
> interested in creating a complete set of release graphics for
> consideration in inclusion of Fedora by myself and the Desktop team.

That's great. That aim was already accomplished by the original
ThemingOverview page, which I might add you also contributed to a while ago.

> I took full responsibility of the content.  Thus requesting that
> modifications be discussed on Fedora-art-list or sent to me first so
> that I may confirm with the engineers whom the images would be
> distributed to.

Except:

(1) that's not the way wikis work, if you've signed the CLA you don't
need permission to make modifications and improvements to pages,

(2) the specifications you contributed yourself had errors so obviously
you're not fact and error-checking before you post things (check the
history of ReleaseGraphics) and you did not discuss your plan with the
list before going ahead and just doing it,

(3) there are others on the list perfectly capable of fact-checking with
either RH package maintainers or upstream package maintainers. Creating
and discussing theme elements and their specifications is not that
complicated. I've discussed GDM theme issues with Brian Cameron, the
upstream maintainer of GDM, and discovered our themes up to this point
have had accessibility issues we should address for FC7. This is an open
community and people aren't really that hard to get a hold of.

> Being that this directly relates to my role within Red
> Hat's Desktop Group (as I go through this process several times for RHEL
> releases) I will ultimately be the one responsible for providing the
> team with the necessary usable graphics. Therefore, if the creator
> follows the specs I've complied on that page, I would be responsible in
> seeing that it works for the engineers and any errors would not be of
> the creator who had followed my recommendations.

I don't really see how that has anything to do with these wiki pages.
Ok, so you want us community folk to submit art that makes it easier for
you to prepare to hand it off to the engineers. That's cool. Why not do
this on the community-created and contributed page on the wiki rather
than creating your own bubble? Was that page not good enough? Was it too
difficult to contribute to?  Was it really beyond repair?

> And so with deviations and personal comments, I take responsibility of
> the content of the page with Release Graphic information separate of all
> other specs that a general ThemingOverview page should include. The page
> includes pieces from many people, I did not credit nor do I take
> credit.

"These are the notes and specifications I've accumulated from having
completed 4-5 release designs." --Artwork/ReleaseGraphics

> I created ReleaseGraphics
> for those interested in understanding/creating the various pieces needed
> for a complete useful Themed Release set.

How did ThemingOverview not serve that purpose? That's what I don't get.

~m