Themeing GRUB (was Re: Any theme planned for FC 6)

Andy Shellam andy at andycc.net
Fri Jul 14 21:37:20 UTC 2006

Hi Mairin,

I'd tried that - I'd found the same tutorial in various different
versions across the Net.
It might help to know that the image I created was in GIMP 2.2.11,
developed on both an FC5 and Windows XP system under GIMP (I believe the
tutorial was on GIMP 1.x so I'm not sure if file formats have changed or
anything silly like that.)

I'd edited the original splash.xpm.gz image from Fedora, indexed it to
14 colours, and saved back to a splash.xpm.gz image in the original
location (/boot/grub I believe.)

All I could get Grub to do was display a black screen with white text
(even restoring the original image didn't make any difference.)  I'd
tried editing the menu.lst file to point to a different image - no joy.

I'd also tried creating a new image, 640x480, filling it in solid red,
indexing to 14 colours - but even that didn't show.

If need be I could send the image for someone to take a look at?

P.S. to Diana: I hadn't said you were unwilling to discuss, I was just
commenting that no-one had replied - in fact, before Leon's post,
there's been no messages from anyone about anything on here :P lol.

Thanks,

Andy.