Grub Splash in FC5

Hi,

Hopefully this is the place for this question!

I’ve been trying to customize the grub splash screen (and eventually I’ll do the bootsplash as well).  Having found numerous tutorials on the web, all saying different things, I think I’ve found the correct way to do it – however, Grub now just loads with a blank screen (i.e. black background, white text.)

Here’s what I’ve done:

-          Created a 640x480, indexed 14 colour image using the GIMP (both from a Windows box and on Linux)

-          Saved the image as splash.xpm.gz and replaced /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz with it

-          Re-ran “grub-install /dev/hda” (I don’t think is necessarily needed, but I tried it anyway)

-          Saved the image as a non-compressed .xpm (in /boot/grub/splash.xpm) and modified the “splashimage” line in /boot/grub/menu.lst to point to this

I’ve just about exhausted all options I can find – anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks

Andy