Fedora logo modification license?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 5 20:17:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 23:41 -0700, Thomas Chung wrote:
> On 5/4/06, Richard Körber <fedora-art at ml.shredzone.de> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have created a modified Fedora logo for the fedorablog.de website I
> > maintain. Basically it is just mirrored, changed so the "f" now looks
> > like a "b" (for blog), and the background is turned into a dark red
> > instead of a dark blue.
> >
> > Do I need to get a permission to use this logo on my website?
> >
> > If so, who do I need to contact regarding the permission?
>
> Guidelines and Policy should be available at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo

The stickler in me says this kind of usage isn't appropriate.  It's one
thing to design your own logo that *by coincidence* is similar to
another logo.  It's entirely another to copy an existing trademark logo
and morph it into your own usage, especially when that usage is in a
marketplace where it could create confusion.

Max Spevack and I are collecting trademark guidelines and policy bits to
coalesce into something meaningful so we can avoid confusion and
case-by-case decisions (that doesn't scale well).  I think logo policy
should be a part of this.