New Fedora GTK Theme

Andrea Cimitan cimi86 at alice.it
Sun Nov 12 17:44:57 UTC 2006

Il giorno Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:10:25 -0500
Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> ha scritto:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> I don't think that this is a matter of the 'art team making a
> >> decision" though. This is a matter of there being absolutely no
> >> process. There isn't any defined process to get artwork & themes
> >> into the distribution right now. This is a very old problem so
> >> let's just trailblaze through it.
> >
> > Its not quite a problem really.
>
> (Well, actually it is but I won't elaborate any more. 0:) )
>
> > A fedora-list discussion suggest that there are people interested
> > in doing this. Since we have a general policy on staying close to
> > upstream, it would be nice if upstream people are involved in the
> > packaging efforts too. It helps in user <-> developer interactions.
> > If you are not interested in packaging this, you can set bugzilla
> > preferences to be automatically CC'ed on all bugs for that
> > particular component. This is what upstream Gaim developers do for
> > example.
>
> What do you think about this idea, Cimi? I know you can't package
> Murrine but Would you be willing to be CC'ed on Fedora Murrine bugs?

Yes, but just for bugs about "Murrine" and not about the "packaging
problems"

> >> Does anyone oppose moving to the Murrine engine?
> >
> > Well, one question. How can we intelligently comment on a engine
> > without looking at the code? If the themes are completely
> > customizable which apparently is the case here, how do we
> > understand the value of a particular engine over another by merely
> > looking at screenshots?

Try the engine and make few benchmarks, enjoy the speed, also try to
found bugs! No one :D. I can guarantee this.
There's a simple difference between clearlooks and murrine: murrine
is currently supported and developed, clearlooks is dead one year ago
(except few updates/bugfixes) as you can see in gnomecvs. This is due
to the creator of Clearlooks, Remenic, who is no longer updating
clearlooks (he has no more time to it) http://www.stellingwerff.com
All bugs found on clearlooks are currently ported to murrine (as gnome
devs tell me on #gnome-art)

> By using it and getting a sense for its look & feel (definitely
> different than Clearlooks), snappiness/speed, and
> customizability/available themes is what I was thinking. The code
> isn't everything, right? ...A means to an end for our purposes here.
> If nobody opposes it on those fronts then it would be well worth a
> code review; I can probablay talk to Ray about that if nobody here
> opposes the theme on the other points.
>
> Thanks for the helpful info, as always, Rahul!
>
> ~m

The code is absolutely ok... thrust me...

--
Cimi - Andrea Cimitan
http://cimi.netsons.org