Do we need another Echo?

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 13:55:04 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:
> What's wrong with isometric icons? That's one of the things I really
> miss in tango. I think we should continue with the Echo effort, but it
> would be perhaps good to base them more on tango - i.e. use our styling
> and perspective, but mostly tango or gnome shapes. The echo icons are
> great so far, I even heard an opinion that they are better then oxygen
> icons, they have touch of Fedora and there would me many people
> disappointed if we stopped the effort.

+1!!!

I believe we should, moving forward, use the Tango artwork as a base,
but work on some of AndyFitz's 'SVG Crack' [1] to make it possible to
have Echo stylesheets. Sort of the way Ubuntu has orangized some of the
key Tango icons, but instead applying our palette and our styles to
Tango. Does that make sense?

We could still work upstream with Tango this way, as if we needed a new
icon not in the Tango set we could create the artwork to match ourselves
and submit it upstream as well.

We have already somewhat agreed to taking the 16x16 => 24x24 icons from
Tango and restyling them as a bit of a pilot for this project.

Does that seem reasonable?

~m

[1] http://live.gnome.org/AwesomeArtShit  <= see the bottom with the
ducks and monitors