[Echo Icons] help needed in cleaning SVG icons.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Thu Aug 23 20:47:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 13:33 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 15 août 2007 19:42, Martin Sourada a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > the SVG icons have several more or less serious issues. I've already
> > fixed those most bad ones (non-square icon sizes and some of the worst
> > garbage removal from inkscape). We need more, however. Here is the
> > list
> > of what is needed to do with the SVG icons currently.
> >
> > a) make them smaller in means of space on disk - vacuum defs in
> > inkscape
> > does very good job at this (I already run it on some icons), it would
> > be
> > great if we could do more automatically, opening each icon in inkscape
> > is just slow...
>
> Just tell me what elements or attributes you want to be killed and I
> can modify the scrubbing xslt to do it (if it does not now, it's
> pretty thorough already)

Dunno exactly, but I DO know, that inkscape's vacuum defs can strip a
lot of code, but also adds some of its own, which can be then stripped
using your script. Also the layers with display:none are not removed
with your script, or at least didn't work for some of them. Combination
of these three in one script would be good.

> > b) fix the positioning. The positioning must the same as in 48x48 png
> > counterparts. Currently the SVG usually are slightly bigger
> >
> > c) add shadows. The shadows must be same like in their 48x48 png
> > counterparts. It's possible to make a shadow in and then export png,
> > in
> > order to be same.
> >
> > d) fix various rendering issues. Many icons made in Adobe Illustrator
> > just don't display as they should. All SVG icons MUST look like their
> > 48x48 png counterparts.
>
> Again if you can specify the transform you want I may just automatise
> it (no hard promise)
>
> Regards,

Probably cannot. I can only tell that there are some rendering issues
(e.g. gradients set wrong, etc., ordering of objects is also sometimes
wrong), but cannot tell, why and when. One thing that MIGHT be
automatised is fixing of positioning - the svg icons are usually
stretched to whole canvas, while the pngs are not. Also it seems that
Diana used to finish them in non vector format, because if you set them
right, they still differ a bit.

Thanks,
Martin