[Echo Icons] help needed in cleaning SVG icons.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Thu Aug 23 21:00:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 22:47 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 13:33 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le Mer 15 août 2007 19:42, Martin Sourada a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > the SVG icons have several more or less serious issues. I've already
> > > fixed those most bad ones (non-square icon sizes and some of the worst
> > > garbage removal from inkscape). We need more, however. Here is the
> > > list
> > > of what is needed to do with the SVG icons currently.
> > >
> > > a) make them smaller in means of space on disk - vacuum defs in
> > > inkscape
> > > does very good job at this (I already run it on some icons), it would
> > > be
> > > great if we could do more automatically, opening each icon in inkscape
> > > is just slow...
> >
> > Just tell me what elements or attributes you want to be killed and I
> > can modify the scrubbing xslt to do it (if it does not now, it's
> > pretty thorough already)
> >

> Dunno exactly, but I DO know, that inkscape's vacuum defs can strip a
> lot of code, but also adds some of its own, which can be then stripped
> using your script. Also the layers with display:none are not removed
> with your script, or at least didn't work for some of them. Combination
> of these three in one script would be good.

But to be fair, I don't remember whether I did a notice about it or not,
but I run all the icons through the vacuum defs and removed the layers
with display:none, where it was seen on first look (I removed it
manually in gedit, so I might have overlooked some of them). Also I run
your script (but before the inkscape's vacuum defs) on all icons that
seemed to be too big (basically only those that were not in luya's
initial import). Can your script be run easily on all icons (I mean
something like ./svg_cleanup /path/to/Echo/scalable/*/*.svg)?

Martin