animated backgrounds

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 03:50:41 UTC 2007

Hi Matthias!

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 16:23 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> I put together an xml file for the animation based on the format for
>> gnome-desktop-2.19.90-4:
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/artwork/infinity-24/00-fedora-infinity-background.xml
>
> Nice. But I think you want a) the starttime to be midnight and b) the
> durations of the static images to be 2700 and the transitions to be 900,
> so that it actually sums up to 24 hours.

Yeh, I screwed it up. I wasn't sure what exactly the relationships of
the numbers were and I didn't realize until I already built the package.
To be midnight the starttime's hour would have to be 0, so 12 is
actually 12 pm?

Does it matter what year-month-date is there?

>> I did each one using gradients and layer blending modes in the Gimp over
>> top of the main background image. The source is here (warning: it's
>> quite large):
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/artwork/infinity-24/00-background.xcf
>>

> Unfortunately, there is very noticeable banding in the images.

Yeh. Because it's a significant amount of effort to produce them (this
set took over 4 hours of manual tweaking), I figured these are a good
first cut to make sure the colors work out and to get more eyes on the
background transition stuff. In time for test 3, I can go in
layer-by-layer (because each image is actually an alpha-gradient
adjustment layer over the original artwork in a gimp file) and manually
smooth each gradient. I thought that would be a significant amount of
time and effort to do when I wasn't sure I picked the right colors and I
really wanted something in test 2... does that make sense?

(I already ended up changing colors a few times to make the transitions
more smooth / colors more natural when I showed this around to people,
and I expect to get more feedback once more people try them out. I hope
this was an ok approach?)

~m