animated backgrounds

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Wed Aug 29 09:28:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 07:48 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> > So I did a series of the infinity backgrounds, 24, 1 for each in the day
> > to match the approximate sky coloring of that time of day.
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/duffy/artwork/infinity-24/
> >
> > All 24 PNGs:
>
> I think you can get away with a change every 3 or 4 hours, not hourly,
> is a lot less work for you and you can't precisely match the sky color
> anyway, for example at 5pm the sky color is *completely different* in
> June and December.

But the transitions would be more jumpy. I am now making some changes to
the wallpapers Mo created. I picked what I thought best for 00am, 04am,
06am, 09am, 00pm, 03pm, 06pm and 09pm (i.e. 00am midnight, 06am dawn,
00pm noon, 06pm dusk and the rest is somewhere in between) and am doing
now the hours between by transitioning them in gimp - I think it is good
to have one wallpaper per hour, but as a start what you suggested seems
enough, but making the transitions in gimp is less CPU intensive than
letting the gnome do it for you.

Regarding the seasons, I though it would be great if there was a feature
to add subsets to the transitions - i.e. we would have one 'wallpaper'
staying for e.g. 3 months, but it would not be one picture, but another
slideshow with one picture per hour. In code it could look like this:

<static>
  <duration>
    <months>3</months>
  </duration>
  <static>
    <duration>3595</duration>
    <file>/usr/share/backgrounds/fedora-infinity/spring-am00.png</file>
  </static>
  <transition type="overlay">
    <duration>5</duration>
    <from>/usr/share/backgrounds/fedora-infinity/spring-am00.png</from>
    <to>/usr/share/backgrounds/fedora-infinity/spring-am01.png</to>
  </transition>
  <static>
    <duration>3595</duration>
    <file>/usr/share/backgrounds/fedora-infinity/spring-am01.png</file>
  </static>
  <transition type="overlay">
    <duration>5</duration>
    <from>/usr/share/backgrounds/fedora-infinity/spring-am01.png</from>
    <to>/usr/share/backgrounds/fedora-infinity/spring-am02.png</to>
  </transition>
</static>
<static>
  <duration>
    <months>3</months>
  </duration>
<static>

While it does make sense in providing thus greater configurability and
ability to change the wallpapers not only by hours but also by season it
would be probably harder to implement. Mathias, what do you think about
it?

Martin