Icon howto?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Fri Aug 31 22:45:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 20:01 +0200, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if somebody could advise me of a tutorial on how to
> create icons (file formats, names etc), and how to install them
> somewhere that I can test them?

Hi Jonathan,

Some answers to your questions:

file formats - png for most icons, svg for scalable icons

sizes - 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, the bigger you will probably
not need

names -
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
and icon-naming-utils package, also there is a usefull utility analyzing
the current coverage (you have to have inherited icon theme though, to
make use of this) [1]

index.theme -
http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/echo-icon-theme;a=blob_plain;f=trunk/Echo/index.theme;hb=HEAD (example) and http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

path - only for you: ~/.icons/YourThemeName, for
everyone /usr/share/icons/YourThemeName.

You might also want to look at the Tango Icon theme guidelines [2] or
Echo Icon theme status [3] (there are hopefully listed most of the icons
you see on a desktop).

I am also not sure if this isn't remaking of the high-contrast theme.
Its in every default distribution of fedora, so you find it easily.

Martin