[F9 Artwork Proposal] Waves

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:38:02 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 10:35 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> I like the best how this one look, BUT there is a compiz effect
> simulating water ripples, just imagine the redundancy of a ripple
> background and ripple effect on top of it.

this thread reminds me.  Did I ever show off my effort to make an
animated aurora desktop image?
I never got the animation to really look like i wanted. I tried to get
two auroral curtains to ripple in the desktop background
in the same way they actually do in the sky overhead.
http://jspaleta.fedorapeople.org/animated-aurora/abstract-aurora.png
I'm not suggesting that this should be a theme, but I like the idea of
trying to capture that sort of motion on the desktop.

What i really really really want is enough flexibility in the
animation stuff to be able to programmatically draw svgs as the
desktop image based on actual geophysical/weather data so I can
re-implement a visual art installation on the desktop similar in
nature
to the museum installation called The Place Where You Go To Listen[1],
except using desktop visual elements instead of sound.
I'd like to turn the desktop image into an active abstract display of
geophysical activity.

When I was last playing with the animated aurora, the desktop
animation process didn't like transitioning svg's smoothly.