Unfavorable Distro-Watch Report

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Feb 5 17:19:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 12:01 -0500, Ben Arnold wrote:
> On 05/02/07, John Baer <baerjj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was not aware the decision on the icon set had been made.

Echo was made default very early on just right after the Fedora 7 branch
for the distro opened; from libgnome ChangeLog

 * Fri Oct 27 2006 David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> - 2.16.0-7
 - Make Echo the default icon theme and require echo-icon-theme for now

We did this to get people to file bugs against Echo so we can better
evaluate whether it's going to be the default. It's not the same as
saying it's the default; this is Rawhide after all, things can change.

> I think it means the icon set is availible but if you get the LiveCD
> you'll see that it is not default [1].

That link is from the Fedora 6 live CD; if you try the Fedora 7 Test 1
live CD you will indeed see Echo being the default.

FWIW, I wouldn't care too much about what the distro review sites are
saying; just as a counterpoint

  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=637&num=1

says "The Fedora Echo icon theme is a huge improvement over Fedora
Core 6 and past releases.". Distro reviewers are not necessarily very
good at reviewing art and these days every dude and his mother reviews
distributions. Make up your own mind.

      David