Unfavorable Distro-Watch Report

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Feb 6 14:24:44 UTC 2007

John Baer wrote:

> The problem with a review is you don't know who will read it. Perhaps
> potential new Fedora user who will now look for something better. Worst,
> some may decide FC7 is not worth testing.
> :(

The problem is, today in the internet age with blogs and forums anyone
can review anything and say whatever he want. And this is good.

> Based on the above comment, I am assuming you are the owner of this
> effort. I did not know that. I quickly searched the wiki and the only
> *echo* page which displayed your name was *EchoProblem*.  If you are not
> the owner, who is?

Luya is an important contributor to the theme, many icons list him as
the author: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoDevelopment

The "owner" probably is Diana, who started it and did the largest part
of the existing icons and David who will package the theme.

> As I stated before, creating an icon theme IMO is a huge effort.
> Information should be flowing on a very regular bases communicating
> (listserv, forum, irc) it's status and direction. The owner is the
> advocate of the effort and assumes this responsibility.

Yup, here is a lot of work to do: some dealing with people, some marketing

> In conclusion, my concern is the number of missing icons I see on the
> *echo* wiki page.  If the artwork is missing or substituted, a bugzillia
> report will not be of much help.

The icons listed on the wiki page are the icons for the base GNOME
desktop (stock icons), they cover only a part of the entire desktop.
There are a lot of GTK/GNOME applications using their own icons and
there are the big applications (Firefox, OpenOffice.org)

> However, if *echo* is ready and others agree then let's proceed on.

Any theme would be used, even Tango, it will not have 100% coverage, so
we have to start with something less.

--
nicu