Flying High with Fedora 7 Preview

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jan 10 06:44:13 UTC 2007

John Baer wrote:

> I am in agreement the 3D approach is what forum folks generally like and
> I would guess a "blender" theme would be very well received.

Thanks $DEITY that forum postings is not the definitive criteria for
selecting our look.

> Unfortunately, I do not know Blender :(.

Blender is not an absolute requirement, shiny things can be made in many
other ways.

To be honest, I think a large number of us here are not very happy with
a Blender made theme, as we are not very familiar with Blender and can
not collaborate on source files.

>>From my efforts I was looking for a theme which works at home and the
> office. IMO the office part of the equation tends to be more
> conservative. You probably won't see a graphic of a woman dressed in a
> bikini with a fedora logo at work. Although I believe I saw several on
> the wallpaper section of the forum :).

Well, the target of Fedora is somewhat blurred but definitely is NOT the
office use. And remember which kind of desktop wallpapers used to use
Ubuntu in its early stages when it became famous...
Having said this, I agree we should better leave the bikini themes for
unofficial but supported channels.

> When I looked to other successful products and I didn't see any with
> strong 3D based themes. I consulted with my colleagues and they advised
> the background screen needs to be more than flashy, it needs to be
> something a person can look at all day, every day. Busy complex images
> are hard to view for long periods of time.

Indeed, very true.

> Creating a 3D fork isn't a bad idea. Mola, maybe you can work your magic
> with Blender.

A 3D fork would be a third fork, Fc7ThemeProposalFlyingHighRound2 is not
what I would call 3D, is more "cartoon".

--
nicu