GDM themes/face browser

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jan 12 15:00:59 UTC 2007

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Speaking of GDM, the plan[1] for Fedora 7 is to use Fast User
>> Switching with GDM face browser by default, so:
>> - I think we should talk about this, to be sure how it will look
>> (Ubuntu people are talking about 3D effects with AIGLX[2])
>> - start making GDM theme mockups and themes with a face browser
>> - think if we need additional faces (there are some in
>> /usr/share/pixmaps/faces/ not sure if those are enough/original/pretty)
>>
> Hi Nicu!
> Garrett Lesage and myself did some initial work on this some time ago.
> http://primates.ximian.com/~glesage/wiki/user_pictures

 From your link:

"Animals
     * Zebra
     * Giraffe
     * ..."

It looks like a cool project: "who lives near a cool zoo and could take
a nice photo of a zebra? or a giraffe?"

We can ask people to contribute in a pool of images as large as
possible, let the package maintainers so select a subset to be included
as default in the distro and leave the others online for manual
installation (think: photo zebra, vector zebra, cartoon zebra, baby
zebra, caricature zebra).

And not last: we want a user pictures collection to be distro specific,
upstreamed to GNOME or upstreamed to f.d.o (GDM and KDM)?

As for technical details[1], it seems we currently can use only jpg and
png (no svg) and the maximum size is 128x128

[1] - http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs/2.16/configuration.html

--
nicu