WIP - Fedora 8 theme

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 9 21:42:26 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Mark wrote:
> looking good but not wise for fedora to use as a default theme.. that will
> most likely result in a few lawsuits from well know company (starting with a
> M ending with a t) ;)

No ! Actually this is the official window decorator of the kubuntu distribution.
If you have installed crystal, you will see the themes of kubuntu
(edgy,fiesty),vista,aqua,svg.. are included. The crystal development
team work closely with kubuntu. I don't think they will object fedora
choosing it as default as well, (if it would be)

To me, your idea will be easy to implement. And considering the fact,
that F8 development cycle is about 5 months. Hence it will be quick to
create such theme for F8.

Crystal provides many themes, some screenshots on fedora:
- kubuntu-dapper: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=537757887&size=o
see how the close button hovers to red
- kubuntu-feisty: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=537757889&size=o
see how the minimize button hovers to blue
- vista: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=537757891&size=o

Take a look at
http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~chit/crystal-1.0.4/pics/
These themes shipped by the crystal source code.

You can design a new fedora theme of crystal. All you have to work on
is the artwork,
which is actually the goal of this mailing list :) Thus how the icons
will hover will not be your problem.

If you are planning to work on it, I'll be glad to give a hand for
testing and integrating it for f8. Surely, your (would-be) work can be
pushed to the official crystal source code(upstream).

Here is the 1.0.4 rpm, I'll be pushing soon:
RPM : http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~chit/RPMS/crystal-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm
SRPM: http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~chit/RPMS/crystal-1.0.4-1.src.rpm

meanwhile you can do some testing and report any weird issues if any.

I don't know yet, if KDE4 will make it before F8. But if it does, you
might consider the time and effort you are putting for 3.5.x. The
"oxygen" icon set of KDE4 is simply great.

regards,
Chitlesh
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com