document-page-setup or/and document-properties icon mockups.

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 18:29:42 UTC 2007

Ben Arnold wrote:
> On 07/03/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>> Diana Fong wrote:
>>
>> > I also would like to hear opinions about the use of the wrench or
>> > screwdriver + hammer metaphor currently used to represent 'properties'
>> > and 'setup' throughout the desktop, and how the use of the microscope
>> > can cause confusion.
>> setup is very different from properties. You go into setup to change
>> stuff and have access to configuration utilities. OTOH properties are
>> mostly used in passive look-at-it context, and a lot of properties are
>> static
>
> Setup for base settings while properties are per-session or document?
>
> If I'm honest, the microscope would not work as well as a metaphor
> because that says 'search' or 'analyse' to me rather than properties.
> That said, I always look for the text alongside that icon because it
> is an easily identifiable word but that doesn't excuse it in toolbars.
> The doc-prop-4 without the cog to the bottom-right and the single
> spanner in #2 are my personal favourites. I think #4 would fit in more
> with the other action emblems and #4 gives across the idea of more
> core/basic settings well.

'Properties' does seem to present less options to change, however (using
OpenOffice Writer as an example) it does seem that the user can set or
tweak some things.  I think that's what's causing the confusion, the
ability to set changes.  Therefore, I like Ben's explanation best...that
setup is for base settings while properties are per-session/document.
Both of which indicate some sort of tweaking or change, which a
microscope doesn't really convey.

I'd like to propose we continue to use the hammer/wrench for 'setup'
since we seem to all agree that 'setup' allows for the most change.  As
for properties, personally...I would like to stick with the same
hammer/wrench or cog symbol. However, I feel less strongly about this
point...as 'properties' also seem to present a lot of information that
is static as well.  We can definitely test out the microscope idea, and
see how people feel when used in context.

To throw another related term in the mix...'preferences'...I think
should probably follow what we choose for 'setup' as it also allows for
much setting and changing of things.

Thanks,
Diana Fong
---