Fedora 7 CD Labels & Covers

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri May 25 19:16:20 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 25 mai 2007 à 13:38 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 17:09 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > FYI the liberation fonts are nice and it's certainly worth showcasing
> > them but they're not Fedora 7 default fonts, since they lack extended
> > glyph coverage and lack hinting.
>
> Yes, so what ?

So using them systematically is not reflecting the project state
accurately, and it will hurt the local Fedora groups when they try to
localise Fedora marketing material and discover their language is just
not supported.

> Are you going to bring this up every time somebody
> mentions Liberation ?

Please. I wrote nice things about the font, and only stated the plain
truth. And since you insist I'll add this.

Red Hat made a donation. A great one. You're entitled as a Red Hat
employee to be proud of your company.

But how does it reflect on Fedora? Not at all. At no stage was the
Fedora community involved in Liberation. You want info on it you'd
better be a journalist and call Red Hat press contacts because you sure
won't get any by asking on community lists. The official Liberation page
accurately reflect this fact with its Red Hat branding and lack of any
fedoraproject.org link or contact.

I do some stuff for the Fedora community. I'm happy to see Red Hat
Fedora members cheer about some good action their company did. I'm less
happy, more accurately I'm deeply uncomfortable with the way
non-technical Fedora groups are incited to make Liberation a Fedora
emblem.

You're supposed to be proud of your emblems. But how can I be proud of
Liberation? It happened and still happens outside Fedora¹. It's not even
the result of some other community work, but was bought from a
professional closed-fonts foundry². What's the relationship of
Liberation with the Fedora community work I value? None that I can
easily see.

¹ Except perhaps when I donated some of my free time to help push the
font package in the distribution, so reality didn't clash overmuch with
the PR noise

² whose copyright BTW is the only one embedded in the font files
--
Nicolas Mailhot