F9 Name Proposal

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:32:15 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 10:58 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> > Simply - Owl, Nightbird, Humming or Bird :) .
>
> I absolutely hate to be "that guy" but... the name decision is not ours
> (Art Team) to make and traditionally now is also too early for it.

Is it too early? I think there are proposed changes for the
development process which would put the "naming" process earlier in
part to get the art team time to have the option to build a theme
associated with the codename.

Regardless of when it happens, there are established rules for the
name game, which I assume people in this thread are not aware of.
Names between releases must relate.  Release N+1 must be named such
that releaser N+1 relates to N, such that releases N+1 and N-1 are not
similarly related.  So we can for example just keep picking city names
or flower names over and over again.

The rules for F9 as I understand them are:
The relationship that connects Moonshine and Werewolf cannot be re-used.
The F9 name and werewolf must share are "both are" relationship.
The F9 name and moonshine must not share a "both are" relationship
You also should provide an obvious next relationship that can be used
to connect the name to F9 to F10

The "Unicorn" example I provided follows the name game rules. I stated
the N+1 to N relationship explicitly.  Both a unicorn and a werewolf
are mythical creatures whereas moonshine is not.
I also hinted at the next relationship that can be used to move beyond
unicorn.  Unicorn was the mascot for my high school, so for F10 you
could move from unicorn to any high school mascot that was not a
mystical creature. Though that's actually not a good out. A better out
would be Tom Cruise movie co-stars (a unicorn was in the movie
Legend).

Names like "galaxy" or "night bird" need to be given in the context of
the "N+1 and  N  are a something,  but N+1 and N-1 are not a
something" rule.  The naming isn't  random, but its constrained by how
clever we are coming up with relationships between the names.

-jef