Usability - SIG, Spin, Echo icons [was Re: Icon theme for ubuntu]

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Wed Nov 21 21:31:19 UTC 2007

> David Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Shall I start filing bugs on all the components in Fedora that currently
> > does not accept an easy theme change such as rhgb, gdm, anaconda and so
> > on (preferredly something like replacing the fedora-artwork package or a
> > similar option). I believe that was the proposed solution we got from
> > the art team the last time, yet no work has gone into enabling said
> > choice of the user.
>
> generic-logos package does help. Besides if you have things that you
> want to file bugs against including any issues you have in Echo, just do
> that instead. From all the long rants, I can't figure out the specific
> details involved.
>
> Rahul

Certainly,

I think, David, if you know about issues with Echo usability why not
point them out? I think we should take a look at it too a reach some
consensus between our desires and usability, it is completely useless to
make a icon theme which someone, e.g. colourblind people, will have
problems using it. I encourage everyone to use same hue for borders so
that the shapes would be easily distinguishable even if only used
without colours (i.e. grey), for one. It is probably not enough, but it
certainly makes them more usable.

As for the suggested spin, I think it is a good idea and I see reasons
for it. Yes, surely all the usability features should be available in
the classical spins as well, but we don't need to enable all of them by
default. Especially the artwork could be optimised specially for people
with disabilities and enabled on such a spin. BTW. is there a SIG for
usability? As you say, we (Fedora Project) care about usability but the
applications does not support it as we'd like, so it would be good to
coordinate our efforts to improve the situation.

Martin