Maps ahoy!

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:03:12 UTC 2007

Okay I've been working with infrastructure to build some matplotlib
based maps of interesting
client stats. Here's an example:
http://jspaleta.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-World-Maps/clientmap.png

This isn't a mock-up this is the output of the python script verbatim.
Stylist nightmare? Most definitely. But matplotlib can produce svg's,
so if you are an svg manipulation expert you might be able to take the
script to the next level and algorithmly stylize the output of
matplotlib. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's what I need help with first... colors.. that fit in with fedora
website theming.

land ,sea, country boundary, coastline  and the colormap gradient that
 is used for the client density. All in rgb triplets.  Let's start
with a 16 level gradient.

If you post a set of rgb values that you think work, I can re-generate
a sample map with the colors. Or if you are interested in playing
around with it. I can help set you up with instructions and a
commented python script that you can edit the colors in yourself. I'd
need a couple of cycles to build the python code that lets you edit
the colormap gradient by hand, but its totally doable.  I'm using a
canned gradient at the moment.

-jef