Games Spin: Look and Feel

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sat Oct 6 06:30:47 UTC 2007

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> As you might be aware, the Fedora Games SIG has been working on a
>> games spin of Fedora and we got tentative approval do just that. An
>> early version is planned to be out shortly and another to match the
>> Fedora 8 release.
>>
>> I would like to get some unique look and feel for the games spin which
>> can be as simple as a different background. Can the art team help me
>> with that?  We are packaging a wide variety of games but we have a
>> focus on 3D intensive ones since one of the goals of the Live DVD is
>> to test out hardware for performance before you buy them. So keep that
>> in mind and be creative.
>
> It looks like a big assignment ahead. The tricky part is the background
> to reflect a 3D games world. Perhaps picking seawolf background may do
> the trick. Another possibily is to make LiveMedia like Playstation/Xbox
> demo games with a neat interface taking advantage of desktop effects.
> Those are just brainstorming.
>
> Otherwise, I am waiting for our leader Mairin for suggestion.

Well, one thing that other Fedorans :) have suggested to me a lot is
having an '8-bit' Fedora theme. E.g., a theme for Fedora that has
graphics reminiscent of early video game consoles artwork.

An example of an excellent art show that has showcased the type of art I
think this idea could lead to is the "I Am 8-bit" show:

http://www.iam8bit.net/gallery/gallery.htm

http://www.fort90.com/journal/?p=205

How is that for inspiration? :)

~m