Icon howto?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sat Sep 1 13:58:58 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 15:53 +0200, Máirí­n Duffy wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Hey, thanks for the reply :D
> >
> >> Some answers to your questions:
> >>
> >> file formats - png for most icons, svg for scalable icons
> >>
> >> sizes - 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, the bigger you will probably
> >> not need
> >
> > I figure producing them as svg means I can just export to whatever
> > size I want? Only thing is, when I've exported icons I've already
> > created, or simply viewed them as svg (thumbnail previews) they
> > haven't looked as sharp as when I've produced them, instead looking
> > slightly blurred. Is there any reason why this is? (using inkscape)
>
> Yes. You need to align them to the pixel grid. You can't simply draw it
> once and export it to whatever sizes... you have to align the artwork to
> the pixel grid for every size. Some references:
>
> http://www.firewheeldesign.com/sparkplug/2006/April/icon_design_bitmap_vs_vector.php
>
> http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2007/07/11/icon_design/
>
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Creating_Icons/
>
> ~m

And I would add that really helpfull thing is to open a preview in
inkscape: View->Icon Preview... It provides 1:1 look at 96x96, 48x48,
32x32, 24x24 and 16x16 icons and you can have it open and edit in
inkscape in the meantime. Just push Refresh anytime you'd like to check
how it is aligned :)

Martin