F8 graphics for marketing

Michael Beckwith tw2113 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 04:34:32 UTC 2007

just one quick one that i can think of that will risk negative connotations
but i think works well.

"Fedora: pushing the walls into infinity"

Yes it puts "walls" up, but we're pushing them outwards, making new
boundaries further out each time. As much as Máirín doesn't prefer, there
are some boundaries with each release. Those boundaries are the technologies
of the time. In the future, the technology and capabilities will be greater,
and when we reach that time, we'll keep forging ahead.

Just my $.02

On 9/12/07, Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:

> Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >>
> >> We had a thread on marketing-list a while back about it... I'll go
> >> back through it and aggregate all the suggestions and post them in
> >> this thread... I remember there were a couple I really thought fit the
> >> theme.
> >
> > I know that thread, it ended with no conclusion.
>
> Well, let's pick one right now and conclude it. :) Here's the
> aggregation I promised, I starred the ones I think have the most
> potential:
>
> Slogan Ideas:
>
> **-"Fedora, an operating system with a limitless power."
> - "Freedom; Simplicity; Technology Edge. Fedora. Your operating system."
> - "Freedom, Simplicity, Collaboration, Ready for the Future. Fedora.
> Your operating system."
> - "The future of the operating systems is here. Fedora. My choice."
> - "Fedora. The operating system I can call 'mine'."
> - "Fedora: my choice."
> **- "Fedora: Infinite Boundaries"
> **- "F8: Unleash your infinite potential"
> **- "Infinite Potential"
> - "Fedora, The Open Source Freedom, For open Free Minds."
> - "Freedom of Choice."
> - Infinite Freedom
> -Diverse Free Voice
> -Your Voice, Your Future
> -The Future Is Now
> **-Infinite Possibilities
> -Logical System, Logical Future
> -Voice - Infinity - Future
> -Beautiful is useful
>
> Looking through these I'm seeing a bit of a pattern. We could just do
> two words... adjective + noun.
>
> The adjectives could be:
> - Infinite
> - Limitless
> - Boundless
> - Unlimited
>
> The nouns could be:
> - Power
> - Potential
> - Boundaries
> - Possibilities
>
> Let me tell you what I think we should use based on all of this:
>
> "Fedora. Infinite Possibilities."
>
> "Possibilities" I think is the best noun. "Power" has too much emphasis
> on what you can do technically - a "powerful" piece of software is not
> necessarily an easily to use or well-designed piece of software and
> because we ship GNOME by default I think "power" is a bit of a clash
> there. So scratch that. "Boundaries" kind of focuses on the negative - a
> boundary is a barrier - we want to focus on more the positive, amazing
> things we do and will continue to accomplish, so scratch "boundaries."
> "Potential" makes me think of the phrase "never lived up to their
> potential"... it seems to have a connotation to me about what could have
> been but wasn't. Possibilities, though, seems future and forward-
> looking - thinking about good things that will happen.
>
> "Boundless" again focuses on a barrier, negative, so scratch that. Same
> [...]

~Michael
http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)
http://www.michaelbox.net (eventually)