revised f9 wallpaper - workitems

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:41:41 UTC 2008

2008/4/8, Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>

> > Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >

> > > Normal Ratio:
> > > - 2560x1600
> > >

> > that one is widescreen
> >

> > > - 1600x1200
> > > - 1024x768
> > > - 800x600
> > >
> > > Widescreen Ratio:
> > > - 1680x1050
> > > - 1440x900
> > > - 1280x800
> > >

> > I believe there is also 1920x1200
> >

> > > (do these seem right?)
> > >

> > Currently we have in Rawhide also:
> > - 1280x1024 (a *lot* of people use this)
> > - 800x480 (Eee PC)
> >
> > Do we need *all* those sizes? We can't have only the largest (1600x1200
> for normal and 2560x1600 for wide) and let them be scaled down (as is the
> case in F8)? Otherwise we waste a lot of disk space.
> >

>  I'll render 1600x1200. Should be done near 03:00 UTC or so.
>  Theoretically we shouldn't have to render any other 4:3 wallpapers,
>  unless we want larger, which we shouldn't need. -- ian

Seems big enough to me.
Best to just provide the SVG image as well incase someone wants to
render a even bigger image.

2008/4/7, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi Mark,
>
>  Mark wrote:
>
> > The sizes you posted seem right to me..
> > But about the sizes.. Nautilus can handly SVG backgrounds so why not
> > put that one in the dist? then you can drop all the other images..
> > unless that's not gonna work with day/night wallpapers (fancy and nice
> > but not really useful anyway).
> >

>  I don't think Nautilus can handle the blur filter in the backgrounds. Also
> I still think librsvg doesn't support the SVG cropping functionality (for
> widescreen)

Hi

Perhaps that's something the fedora people should put on the todo list
(for Fedora 10)?
When this is made you never have to include png/jpeg or even multiple
wallpapers of the same image.. you just render the wallpaper for the
screen size on firstboot and your done.

That's a big advantage! and saves some space as well (with current
wallpapers i guess it could save about 30MB?)