gnome splash and screensaver lock dialog

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Apr 15 11:02:09 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> The lock dialog defaults to the "plain" version for usability reasons
>> -- that's something that's been decided upstream by GNOME and we
>> probably won't be changing it any time soon.
>
> While I understand the point about usability (and appreciate you did
> the work and submitted a design - IIRC this in not the first time you
> do that), don't you think the root of the problem has to be addressed?
> If we think a feature is that bad for usability reasons, shouldn't we
> just drop it? Or make the themed dialog more usable or the simple
> dialog prettier?
> There *must* be a way to have something both usable and pleasant looking.

+1
> To me, shipping two dialogs, one that is usable and another that is
> pretty is like knowingly ship something broken and just papering over
> it a temporary solution.
> And I learned sometime you have to break the temporary solution to get
> the problem solved properly.

+1 true..

I personally think we should enable lock-screen-dialog theme by default
but leave the splash screen off.
( with the new gdm look it looks out of place + my laptop is so fast

Not enabling it puts the lock screen out of place with the overall theme.

I also think the lock screen dialog should look closer to the gdm look.
( as in the frame/look where the user choose his login account )

We could move the password and the buttons beneath the picture and the
display name.
(  having that above the user picture and DN seems out of place )
And drop the login name and the hostname I don't see the purpose of
having that at all.

Best regards
                   Johann B.