T-shirt design feed back

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at mrtomlinux.org
Sun Aug 10 19:18:24 UTC 2008

Le Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:48:30 -0400,
"Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 16:16 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Symbol_Clear_Space
> > >
> > > Also, the design doesn't protect the minimum space around the
> > > logo.
> >
> > You made me think more and I bet the font used is *not* MgOpen
> > Modata, which is our complementary font:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Complementary_Font
> >
> > > Part of the power of a slogan comes from using it consistently.
> > > If everyone makes their own, how do we tell the difference
> > > between the unofficial ones and the official one?  Frankly, I'd
> > > rather see T-shirts not reflect any slogan, just the branding
> > > (logo) and website.
> >
> > But a T-shirt with only the logo is boring, how often would you
> > wear one?
>
> True enough -- maybe Pierre-Yves can translate the 4 Foundations into
> French for the shirt?

Well i don't really agree on translating will be enough.
When there are very few words and strong ideas behind, you can't always
translate them as easily we would love to. Translating means adapting
as well, and sometimes we have to get rid of all the initial words to
keep the meaning, and it looks like new slogan at the end. For example,
each release has a pun on the website. For Fedora 9 it is "Make waves"
which can't be translated into french as such, as it has a negative
meaning and nothing to do with "waves", word linked to the theme of
Fedora 9. So we had to adapt it, use a new slogan keeping this idea of
waves and spreading to people : "The New Wave" (La nouvelle vague -- in
French).

I remain quite sceptical though...

Regards,

Thomas