R: Re: InvinXble Updates

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 27 13:23:37 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>
>> Creative Commons works have to be CC-BY or CC-BY-SA only to be
>> compatible with Fedora. See:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses_3
>>
>> -ND and -NC can't be allowed unfortunately.
>
> According to that page, Fedora is also OK with -ND, even the this is not
> considered Free by FSF, only -NC is forbidden (but it is a good thing to
> avoid -ND, something like Samuele's derivation would not permitted by -ND).
>
> Speaking of -ND, the only place where I think it may fit is the
> Wallpaper Extras gallery, for photos, but even there is makes things
> more complicated, so it is not forbidden but not recommended either.

Oh! I should have explained that a bit more. So, if someone does artwork
from scratch / with all their own materials or appropriately-licensed
source images, it legally (I wouldn't like it though) would be okay for
it to be licensed ND and be a Fedora wallpaper.

However, ND == no derivatives. Samuele's wallpaper is a derivate of the
images he is using. ND is a non-starter for any artwork that is != the
source image.

~m