Echo future

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:50:00 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 23:06 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>> Martin Sourada wrote:
>> Easier would be making tango-compiliant theme to play well with GNOME apps.
>>
> That would be pointless. We are offering an alternative that is
> stylistically (coincidentally) in between the tango style and oxygen
> style. I personally think that Echo can work quite good together (to
> some extent) with both, while tango and oxygen really don't work
> together at all...

I see no reason, why they should work together. Tango is GNOME-related,
Oxygen is KDE-related.

Probably, if someone uses mix of GNOME and KDE apps, will like Echo,
but... It sadly doesn't play well with Tangoish style of GNOME.

With Oxygen probably too. Echo has too less borders and gloss, compared
to Oxygen. Compared to Tango - too less gradients.

It's impossible to do a multi-DE icon set...

>> Some apps are using hardcoded pixmaps, but better are tangoish, than
>> old-GNOME-1.x.
>>
> Hard-coded pixmaps are bad, if you keep fillings bugs about those, the
> situation might improve for all the people trying to make their own icon
> themes (and guessing from look at gnome-look.org there are a lot of
> them).

Listen, sometimes people don't want to create own icons for apps. Most
of apps are placing icons in hicolor/, but they were never replaced
(I've never seen ie. own Banshee icons).

>> You cannot theme them, so style will be mixing.
>>
> Yep and that's bad. Not everyone likes
> tango/oxygen/echo/bluecurve/whatever and we need to make it possible for
> people to use whatever theme they like but with consistent look
> throughout the desktop.

Echo has more vibrant pallette (which partly I like, but the turqoise),
Tango has more... "dirty" pallette and concrete styling guidelines -
thick borders, gradient, gloss...

Echo is so... not plain... subtle.

It could even look good imo, if we could drop perspective. Both Tango
and Oxy are using plain perspective. It's good because there will be no
inconsistence in ie. Nautilus.

> But like I said before, while Echo icon theme has a lot of fans and
> followers we are short of contributors, which slows down the development
> to such extent that every now and then people question the possibility
> of it ever being complete.

Also has antifans :> .

> And I personally think, you being one of the persons who like pursuing
> issues, you could probably help a lot with making the ToDo page, given
> that you already listed some of that in your tickets and here on
> art-list.

I'll try to file more from time to time, like I do every day for Firefox
Trunk and Thunderbird Trunk.

This year my activity in BZ's is growing.