Echo future

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Wed Feb 6 09:58:29 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 23:06 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>
>> Martin Sourada wrote:
>> Easier would be making tango-compiliant theme to play well with GNOME apps.
>>
> That would be pointless. We are offering an alternative that is
> stylistically (coincidentally) in between the tango style and oxygen
> style. I personally think that Echo can work quite good together (to
> some extent) with both, while tango and oxygen really don't work
> together at all...

Hey Martin!
I'm not sure I agree that the oxygen-style and tango-style clash that
hard and we're slowly trying to move closer to the oxygen-style. The
latest Firefox 3 stuff is a small step in that direction (+ our HighRes
experiments [1], [2]).

And yeah, I would be rather happy if Livio's flames calmed down a bit
too and really hope it haven't put the tango-project in a bad light. :/
>> Some apps are using hardcoded pixmaps, but better are tangoish, than
>> old-GNOME-1.x.
>>

> Hard-coded pixmaps are bad, if you keep fillings bugs about those, the
> situation might improve for all the people trying to make their own icon
> themes (and guessing from look at gnome-look.org there are a lot of
> them).

It's also mega-important for HighContrast where the interface will be
quite useless if hardcoded.

1. http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=Highres
2. http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=Tango-NG
- Andreas