A Thought About F9 Artwork

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 17:48:07 UTC 2008

Hi Valent,

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>> But why don't
>> you come up with something awesome yourself? We are all doing our best
>> while you seem to just rant about how things would be better.
>>
> Because I have no actual creative talent but as I said in my email I
> have an critic eye and I have been volunteering as a critic for my
> friends and family for over 15 years - they are photographers,
> designers, 3d modelers and artists and I'm really respected for my
> constructive criticism.
>
> I can't create a new gtk theme but I can say to you if one sucks or or
> if it rocks.

Please excuse my bluntness, but anyone with vision can easily form an
opinion about artwork, it's not exactly a unique nor helpful thing. So
far your criticism has not been constructive as you subjected me to a
podcast with two men laughing about the f8 theme because it was "ugly
ugly ugly". "ugly ugly ugly" is NOT constructive feedback. "here even
though you dont have much free time, listen to this really mean podcast
because it's really useful, even though it's truly just humiliating to
you" is NOT constructive feedback.

I really don't care that you have had opinions on artwork over 15 years.
I have had opinions on artwork my whole life which is longer than that,
and I actually create artwork and take an active (not backseat driver)
role in helping others with theirs.

> So what can I do except to rant?

Please stop. It's not helpful.

> Do you have some idea how else I can
> contribute? Because this is the best I can do (ps. I also contribute in
> reporting all the bugs I find to bugzilla).

There is a huge list of things you can do to help the art team on the
art team wiki. TONS of ideas there.
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork. I insist that you read it.
And I promise it won't be a waste of your time nor will it be insulting
to you.

~m