Re: Round 1

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 09:51 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 10:16 +0100, Gerold wrote:
> > When you'll install a new system, you'll get a unique (smolt-system)
> > id-number; maybe it is possible that that id-nummer is the "code" shown at
> > your dsktop?!
> >
> > So everybody has his "own unique" Desktop wallpaper/theme and also maybe
> > with the changing color as in F8???
>
> The thing about this is that screenshots using this background will be
> able to identify the specific machine. I agree that it's not a fatal
> problem, but it is a potential privacy violation that the end-user needs
> to be made aware of.

I agree with the privacy and perception concerns about this idea. Most
people don't like being counted, and putting it constantly in their face
on the desktop doesn't sound like a great idea. I think bar codes are
also somewhat problematic and have negative connotations, at least in
some countries (I recall "Volkszaehlungs" protests in Germany heavily
using that symbol)...