new Artwork ideas for FC10

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 15 05:39:51 UTC 2008

wonderer wrote:
> Hy together,
>
> in order to a small discussion of the upcoming FC10 Artwork on the
> marketing-list I had some ideas I would like to give here for further
> comments.
> I has the thought if we can't think a bit bigger for FC10?! This is the
> 10th Version of an Operatingsystem. 10th Anniversery. We have a one and
> THEN the null behind. We have decades going forward...
>
> So just some thoughts/ideas we could have:
> - collect some/all the (unpublished) Artwork of the years and put them
> together or remaster some of "the old" ideas, made them retro or so.

This seems an interesting idea and has been proposed at least 3 other
times. However, it seems no one has been interested in it enough to
follow through. Maybe you could be the person to make this happen?

> - ask VIP's (let your imagination flow who this could be...) make some
> Artwork. I don't mean that as a blow against the art-team or so (Nicu
> Buculei mentioned such a thing) but it CAN be a way to have lets say
> unusual stuff in here.

I think we have more than enough ideas right now for F10 that we don't
need to go out and ask for more to add more to the pool.

>  an (maybe bad) example: let Stallman scribble the fedora Logo and work
> that out or ask people like Doc Baumann, Linus Torwalds, Mark
> Shuttleworth or such guys.

I don't know if Mark Shuttleworth would be all that interested in
contributing to Fedora. Just a hunch. :-p

What is the meaning behind doing this? How does it relate to Fedora? It
seems to be promoting celebrity over expertise, no? Technical people
doing art = people doing something outside of their expertise? What does
that say about Fedora? Is celebrity really valued in Fedora?

>  maybe we can work out lets say 12 different VIP Pics or scribbles for
> that.
> - put in some photos as backgrounds, maybe from big events or meetings...
>  there are few Pictures as backgrounds, but many people have some. There
> are many ways to put in lets say "faces of fedora" in a smooth way...

Do you have any pictures to suggest?

> - best of artwork-artwork: any Artworker give one bit of his work to
> another and let him or her work that out, let your minds flow,
> cooperate, work out things together, etc.

This is what our art process involves right now. :)

~m