mockup gtk theme

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 30 02:01:29 UTC 2008

Hey Andy,

Andy Fitzsimon wrote:
> Hi martin,
>
> If you could help me understand our limitations ill make some more
> specific mockups for you
>

> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2706976226_d9d7e58f17_o.png
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2706174405_6f7cb0e3a7_o.png

One thing about the mockups - I don't know much about the tech
limitations side at all, but I wanted to point out that I think the
buttons, tabs, and progress bars are a little fat. I mean, as it is,
I've got 1024x768 resolution laptop, and in the gimp I use the small
theme rather than the normal default gtk sizes theme, and I still
struggle for screen real estate. I have a real estate problem in
Inkscape too. I want the buttons and bars to be slimmer... at the size
they're at they kind of feel like a child's toy? (Does that make sense?
Sort of big fat knobs for little hands? :) )

If they went on a little slimming diet though they'd be perfect. It's a
beautiful mockup and I think it feels "Fedora." I think the sizing
issues could be worked out with a 'real' mockup rather than the
widgetfactory style mockup... then you see them a bit more in context
maybe and can size them down appropriately/in proportion?

One other piece of feedback! The arrows at the top and bottom of the
scrollbars.... that they have the negative space semicircle on them...
it makes them look a little agressive, like fangs, when the rest seems
soft because of all the rounded corners. You know what I mean? Nodoka
today is like that but it's a little more pronounced in the mockup
because the grey area of the arrows is a bit more elongated? I kind of
feel similarly about the highlighting on the tabs... I think with some
minor tweaking the 'fangs' on the tabs would look good though, just a
bit of rounding on the sharp point of each fang... not sure how to
adjust the ones on the scrollbar though.

(Does that make sense?)

~m