Poster revision

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 30 02:36:12 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The Marketing team has been discussing how we can organize our future
> Fedora messaging around the "4 Foundations" theme (freedom, friends,
> features, first).  I think people here already know these terms from
> elsewhere[1], so I won't belabor the point. :-)

Ahhh the f-f-f-f reminds me of the old McDonald's campaign - food,
folks, and fun! food folks and fun! You know the one, McDonald's, for
food, folks, and fun!!!

(now that's stuck in my head, arghhhhhh)

"Freedom, friends, and fun! You know the one, Fedora..." ././   ././

> So, I'm asking if the Artwork team can create new poster artwork around
> the "4 Foundations," to spread this new message as effectively as the
> one you helped build around our logo.  I've put this on the design
> queue[3] as well.

I'm wondering if this could be tied into the F10 artwork theme.... I've
been sketching up some steampunky doodles lately. Maybe I'll do some
along these lines. Here are some steampunk-inspired ideas:

FREEDOM
=======
   - person strapped to a Wright-Brothers-esque flying contraption
(flight is usually associated with freedom... or maybe a steampunky
blimp/zeppelin ride with a crowd of steampunky people together waving on
the balcony, you also get the community aspect there)
   - a steamboat floating down a wide river towards a rising sun on the
horizon (open spaces, sun coming up, flowing water can all symbolize
great potential and/or freedom, I think)

FRIENDS
=======
   - steampunky sailors toasting on deck, their pewter mugs of grog
clanking together
   - maybe a silly idea, but a group of victorian/steampunky clad women
in a circle, each knitting a piece together. Maybe what they're knitting
is a Fedora flag?
   - Or maybe a few steampunky people sitting at a steampunky piano
playing piano together? (collaboration!)

FEATURES
========
   - a steampunky rube goldberg machine? (but maybe that gives a false
impression that we overengineer!)
   - a clockmaker with wearing those funky spectacles working on the
gears inside a pocket watch (could represent infinity also, if you draw
the gears right)
   - old-style movie camera projecting onto a wall, 3... 2... 1.... fedora!

FIRST
=====
   - a steampunky astronaut putting a Fedora flag on the moon?
   - a steampunky rail-cart (eg
http://www.die-cast-toys.com/plastic-soldiers/swoppets/railcart.jpg)
race with the coolest-looking rail-cart driver clearly in first place
(maybe he has a Fedora logo on him somewhere or somehow represents
Fedora; maybe he has a more interesting wardrobe than the rest so he
stands out)
   - or maybe a steamboat race instead of a railcart race :)

~m