Poster revision

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jul 30 07:25:22 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> I'm wondering if this could be tied into the F10 artwork theme.... I've
> been sketching up some steampunky doodles lately. Maybe I'll do some
> along these lines. Here are some steampunk-inspired ideas:

Those ideas are just awesome, I like a lot the way you are thinking.
However, not sure how practical: they are the opposite of the I/F/V
posters, which aimed for simplicity.
I for one have doubts I could draw myself such images. But you are
better at drawing than me.

> FREEDOM
> =======
>   - person strapped to a Wright-Brothers-esque flying contraption
> (flight is usually associated with freedom... or maybe a steampunky
> blimp/zeppelin ride with a crowd of steampunky people together waving on
> the balcony, you also get the community aspect there)

I think I like better the blimp take, only careful to not be to much
like the F7 balloon (and not too much like the mozillaZine blimp).

>   - a steamboat floating down a wide river towards a rising sun on the
> horizon (open spaces, sun coming up, flowing water can all symbolize
> great potential and/or freedom, I think)

The steamboat is fading into the sunset, just like a movie ending "this
is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

> FRIENDS
> =======
>   - steampunky sailors toasting on deck, their pewter mugs of grog
> clanking together

I like the sailors take and we can say Fedora is Free as in Freedom but
also free as in free grog.

>   - maybe a silly idea, but a group of victorian/steampunky clad women
> in a circle, each knitting a piece together. Maybe what they're knitting
> is a Fedora flag?

And nobody can accuse us that Fedora is a community unfriendly for women :p

>   - Or maybe a few steampunky people sitting at a steampunky piano
> playing piano together? (collaboration!)
>
> FEATURES
> ========
>   - a steampunky rube goldberg machine? (but maybe that gives a false
> impression that we overengineer!)

It does not need to necessarily be a rube goldberg machine ("a
deliberately overengineered apparatus that performs a very simple task
in very indirect and convoluted fashion" - wikipedia), only a very
complex apparatus (leaving alone the part about the simple task). Maybe
include a hamster wheel into the device, just for fun.

>   - a clockmaker with wearing those funky spectacles working on the
> gears inside a pocket watch (could represent infinity also, if you draw
> the gears right)

To simplify the drawing, the clockmaker can be seen from the back,
leaning over the device: we see only the back of his head, part of the
hands and part of the device.

>   - old-style movie camera projecting onto a wall, 3... 2... 1.... fedora!
>
> FIRST
> =====
>   - a steampunky astronaut putting a Fedora flag on the moon?

A good reference could be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon (which does not
involve the landing but is close).

>   - a steampunky rail-cart (eg
> http://www.die-cast-toys.com/plastic-soldiers/swoppets/railcart.jpg)
> race with the coolest-looking rail-cart driver clearly in first place
> (maybe he has a Fedora logo on him somewhere or somehow represents
> Fedora; maybe he has a more interesting wardrobe than the rest so he
> stands out)
>   - or maybe a steamboat race instead of a railcart race :)

I think one of those (rail-cart or boat) can work. Maybe use the boat if
we also used a boat for freedom and sailors for friendship.