FUDCon Brno tshirts

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 30 11:52:17 UTC 2008

Hey Nicu!

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Guys, I need a bit of feedback about the design attached, I got an
> usable photo and made something with it.

Very very cool!

> The question: is good enough the image as it, automatically traced with
> Inkscape or should I go to the more laborious way of manually tracing it
> (basically redraw the image using the photo as reference, but in a much
> simplified/stylized form).

Here's my thoughts:

- I don't think you need to trace, but there is a bit of noise in the
Inkscape automatic trace. The way I got rid of this when doing the
FUDcon Boston design (my first tries had the same noise) was to boost
the contrast of the image in the Gimp first; I think I fiddled with the
levels a bit, then duplicated the original layer on top of itself with
one of the layer blending modes (I don't remember which one; I just kept
playing). If there were some fine details I knew wouldn't come out in
the final trace I doctored them out manually with a dark brush! :)

- After the Gimp doctoring was done, I tried the Inkscape auto-trace
again. It still came out with a few little artifacts/noise, so what I
did there is touch the trace with the node select tool, and
shift+lassoed and shift+clicked around to try to sweep them up and then
deleted them. I did this a lot along the bottom to clear out a
natural-looking solid background for the 'BOSTON 2008' text. E.g., that
building in the bottom right (and I think there's a waterfall there
too?) that is cut off, I'd do some clever selection with the node tool
on those nodes and just wipe them completely as if that building wasn't
there.

- I'd enlarge the font size in 'BRNO 2008' so there isn't as much of a
wide kerning between the letters. It may need to be kerned more loosely
than the 'BOSTON 2008' one, but right now I think it's too loose to
'match' the 'BOSTON 2008' one, especially in the '2008' letters.

Hope this helps! I really like this design so far!

~m