Fonts SIG Request

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jun 27 06:15:43 UTC 2008

Stojan Dimitrovski wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hi,

> I was playing around today and I made this banner for the Fonts SIG
> request up in DesignService. The idea behind it is that before computers
> there were typewriters and presses. They used little metal letters which
> when covered with ink/carbon they left an impression on the paper. So I
> tired to recreate that with Inkscape. Of course they aren't a full
> representation of the metal-type (something like Linotype), but close
> enough (it's hard to recreate metal with Inkscape).

While the ultimate decision of taking or rejecting the banner stands
with the people on the Fonts SIG, I can say it looks like a good start
for me (but I think you have some work to do).

> I used MgOpen Modata for all fonts. The first letters are latin but used
> in many, many alphabets. The other ones are from the Malayalam alphabet
> (Why? Because I think they are one of the most stylish letters ever
> written!). I do not know their meaning or anything, but they look very
> good.
>
> Hope you like it and please do not be shy to beat me up if you don't
> like it (make sure you say why you don't like it).

Look at the page where the banner will be used:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fonts_SIG - your background color
does not match (and does not match the rest of the banners on our wiki).

Also look at other banners, like this one:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

Add a shadow at the text bottom, to match our general style.

The reflection is wrong, it is a transparent gradient, bu the
orientation should be inverse, you want more opacity near the start
(top) and decreasing (to complete transparency at the extremity).