Theme with smaller font and image sizes

Stewart Adam s.adam at diffingo.com
Fri Mar 14 02:00:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 23:39 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Would you mind sharing the gtkrc? It would help to see what you intend
> to do :)
Sure! It's a mix of nodoka (for consistency) and wimp (for making the
icons and fonts smaller). I have a few (commented) lines in there for
when I develop GTK programs on Windows, just ignore those ;)

http://www.firewing1.com/downloads/gtkrc-nodoka-small

> I don't think we need a separate theme for it (though it wouldn't hurt
> to have one; if you base it on Nodoka, I'd be willing to add it to the
> extra themes we ship with the engine, probably as Nodoka Small). Just
> change the default font settings, I don't know in what package this is
> set, though.
>
> And now what I think about changing the default... Well, I suppose many
> people actually use the 10 pt setting and some even bigger and some
> smaller, I use 8 pt. Yes, themes tend to look better with smaller font
> sizes, but you must be aware that 8 pt is too small for many people. I
> think we could discuss changing from 10 pt to 9 pt, but certainly not to
> 8 pt.
If we could change that I think it would help - That way it's more
balanced
between "easy to read" and "large/bulky layout".

> Anyway, font sizes are something that can be easily changed through
> appearance caplet, so I'd suggest to rather keep the 10 pt which vast
> majority of people can read easily and the ones who want smaller can
> easily change it.
>
> Martin

On another note, I've tried modifying gtkrc to make the Combobox shorter
but I can't seem to be able to - There's always lots of padding around
text. Would I have to modify the engine to do this?

Thanks,
Stewart