Re: [Echo] Reworked media-optical icon

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 13:29 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> 2008/5/5 Martin Sourada <martin sourada gmail com>:
>         * Using text for differentiating between various media has its
>         pros and
>         cons:
>          - it helps defining the perspective
>          - it is easier to differentiate, because the texts are
>         different as a
>         whole, not only in the letters
>          - on the other side, it is blurry and hard to read in smaller
>         sizes,
>         but due to the differences still good enough to recognise
> Now the question is if we should use a plain typeface or the logo.
IMHO plain text, and the plainer the better (more legible). The typeface
is too complex (and usually trademarked) for small sizes, look at e.g.
the Blu-ray:

>         * Using colour for differentiating between various media is
>         probably not
>         the best choice, because it does not help at all to colour
>         blind people
>         and we should avoid icons that are hard to recognise to
>         visually
>         impaired people
> How about having both text and color? This combination will benefit
> colour blind people while other can differentiate between DVD and
> Blueray.
Well, differentiating is hardest between Blu-ray and HD DVD (which has
more or less the same length), but thanks to HD DVD being capitalised
while Blu-ray is not, it's IMHO enough difference. But yea, the colour
might help, but I am not sure if I like it enough to use it :-)

Btw. seeing the typeface, it seems like I have a few mistakes there... I
should use Blu-ray instead of Blu-Ray and HD DVD instead of HDDVD, I'll
fix it tomorrow.