Re: [Echo] Reworked media-optical icon

2008/5/6 Martin Sourada <martin sourada gmail com>:

IMHO plain text, and the plainer the better (more legible). The typeface
is too complex (and usually trademarked) for small sizes, look at e.g.
the Blu-ray:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Blu-ray_Disc.svg

True. Open source typefaces are the only one to use. I have used Century Gothic (derived from Futura) which should be available in Fedora (similar to MgOpen) to make the keyboard.

>         * Using colour for differentiating between various media is
>         probably not
>         the best choice, because it does not help at all to colour
>         blind people
>         and we should avoid icons that are hard to recognise to
>         visually
>         impaired people
>
> How about having both text and color? This combination will benefit
> colour blind people while other can differentiate between DVD and
> Blueray.

Well, differentiating is hardest between Blu-ray and HD DVD (which has
more or less the same length), but thanks to HD DVD being capitalised
while Blu-ray is not, it's IMHO enough difference. But yea, the colour
might help, but I am not sure if I like it enough to use it :-)

Icons are meant to be symbolic =)

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project Contributor