Echo Icon Theme Status Report

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:39:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 18:58 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Martin Sourada <martin.sourada <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Because it's icon theme? Really, it's listed in the icon naming
> > specification [1], it's possible low-barrier entry for new contributors
> > and I can imagine also other uses apart from desktop. What is the reason
> > behind removing them from kdebase?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Languages#head-2ae52dbef2515e18d66fba220112c712c9d2eb14
>
> In particular, the flag used by a certain Asian island with Taipei as their
> capital was found to be a problem.
>
> Now I'm all for lifting the ban on flags, I think Fedora can't drop everything
> which is banned in some country or we won't have anything left to ship at all,
> however I want it lifted for everyone! It doesn't make sense that kdebase can't
> ship flags and echo-icon-theme will ship the exact same flags! That said, I
> suspect this list isn't the right place to get it seen by the right people.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Aah, I see the issue now. That's just annoying, I understand very well,
that using flags for languages is a bad idea, but being unable to use
them for countries themselves is really annoying (I can see it might be
useful especially for local fedora websites) :-/

But yeah, makes sense to ban for all or allow for all...

Martin

PS: me thinks the proper place for this topic would be fedora-legal, but
as long as no-one creates them (and the main contributors will not in
the near future, because we have icons with much higher priority that
need to be fixed/created) it is a non-issue in echo, dunno how on your
side...