Mist and gnome-icon-theme plans for GNOME 2.24/Fedora 10

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Mon May 19 19:43:31 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 14:31 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>
>> What are the outstanding issues with Mist/gnome-icon-theme that makes it
>> a target for replacement?
>> The application coverage is pretty good (full coverage in key
>> applications such as Firefox, Rhythmbox, Pidgin, Gimp, OpenOffice etc.)
>> and looks good together with the rest of the Fedora desktop elements.
>> The development is largely done upstream in GNOME (bugzilla and IRC
>> mostly), so therefore the development might seem a bit silent to the
>> Fedora community. Let me know if there is any way I can improve that.
>> - Andreas
>>

> None, there just seems to be people like me or Luya who thinks having
> our own icon set would be good to have in Fedora and are willing to work
> on it. And due to the "work with upstream" nature of Fedora it could
> also help to pave way for other icon theme developers (we won't patch
> applications to hardcode Echo icons instead of their own, rather work
> with the devs to fix their applications so they would use icons from
> selected icon theme, if available). I believe in this area it is desired
> to join forces with Mist/gnome-icon-theme/Tango/Oxygen developers :)
>
> Martin

Fewer and fewer icons in applications are actually hardcoded, as they
need to work with HighContrast, even though there are still some who
needs to be fixed. See "Known Applications" on
http://live.gnome.org/ThemableAppSpecificIcons
With my upstream hat on, I can say that we're really happy for all the
help we can get in this area. Both with icons and code for apps to not
hardcode their icons.

Firefox and Openoffice are of course exceptions, as they rely heavily on
their own theming infrastructure, even though we did a lot of work on
using GTK+ stock items in as many places as possible in Firefox3.
- Andreas